Alcohol Awareness - Did you know?
18 November 2016
Did you know that alcohol is linked to over 60 medical conditions? Harms from alcohol go much further than the liver including:
- Mouth, throat, stomach, liver and breast cancers: high blood pressure, cirrhosis of the liver; and depression
- Alcohol is one of the three biggest lifestyle risk factors for disease and death in the UK, after smoking and obesity
- Alcohol related harm costs England around £21bn per year, with £3.5bn to the NHS, £11bn tackling alcohol-related crime and £7.3bn from lost work days and productivity costs
- In the UK, in 2014 there were 8,697 alcohol-related deaths
- For every £1 invested in specialist alcohol treatment, £5 is saved on health, welfare and crime costs
In January 2016, the guidance around recommended limits of alcohol was updated by the CMO. The new guidance states that the limits for both men and women are the same - which is to not drink more than 14 units a week, and spreading these units evenly over three or more days.
The guidance also highlighted how there is no safe level of alcohol.
For more information visit the Alcohol Concern website http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk
Take care of what really matters
SJA is an experienced and trusted independent health insurance brokerage. We’ll listen to what you need then work hard to deliver expert guidance and options.