Useful tips for a healthy diet
It is often said that balance is key for a healthy diet. However, nutritional requirements vary depending on a person’s age and activity. A recent article by BBC News offers the following advice:
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. These are important sources of vitamins and minerals which are key to growth and repair. Nutritionists advise swapping a mid-morning snack for fruit, or adding a banana to breakfast cereal
- Include some bread, rice, pasta and other starchy foods. Experts say starchy food should make up around a third of the food we eat. They also recommend switching to wholegrain varieties when possible
- Meat, fish or lentils-Protein is essential for everything from our hair and nails to muscles and skin. Advice states that people should aim to eat two portions of fish a week
- Milk and dairy in moderation. These are good sources of protein and calcium but cheese can contain high levels of fat and salt
- Not too much fat, salt or sugar. Try to limit treats to once in a while
- Mediterranean meals. The Mediterranean diet has been linked to health gains because typically it consists of a variety of vegetables, fresh fruit, wholegrain cereals, olive oil, nuts, poultry and fish.